Sunday, December 23, 2018

Climate Challenge, Final Thoughts


Twenty-one days of focused climate action…the results? Mixed, but positive.

It was hard, some evenings, not to consider and take action, but to turn on the computer and record it. For 21 days, I engaged with social media and the internet world every day. Usually, I turn everything off from Friday evening until about half way through Sunday, to give my mind a break. Some days, after work and meetings, I wanted to just cook dinner and read for a bit before bed, rather than being on-line.  It was a more stressful month because of this.

There were times when I felt like I was shouting into the wind. Photos of cats get dozens of likes and comments; writing to your state legislators about climate change, not so much. Maybe December is not the best month for such a serious topic, but, with all of the news, I had to take action.

Overall, though, there were far more positive moments. I’ve checked some of our data and discovered that I walk far more than I drive, unless we are leaving town. We are still focused on local, seasonal foods, although some of our basics are harder to find. We turn off the lights automatically and we are taking fewer showers. It is good to check your daily rituals.
Both Mark and I have goals that are focused on climate action for the next year. Mark is going to take on some nega-watts investigations, like putting a heat pump into our rental so that it is not using electric heat. I am planning to continue my letter-writing campaign, writing at least one letter a week to state and federal offices.   These 21 days of action have informed our discussions all month long.

 I think the best thing that has happened is that people are talking with me about climate action wherever I go. “What are you doing today?” someone asked me before a meeting. The custodian dropped by to discuss moving the staff room fridge downstairs and moved onto my compost bin. I’ve met people at meetings and our letter writing evening who are also working on the same issues.

And so, it was worth it. Walking downtown, clutching the four inch think TSP binder to my chest on a rainy Thursday afternoon, tired from school, meetings, and this work, I found myself humming Pete Seeger’s song once more.

Step by step, the longest march
Can be won, can be won
Many stones can form an arch
Singly none, singly none
And by union what we will
Can be accomplished still
Drops of water turn a mill
Singly none, singly none









3 comments:

  1. I know it has been a challenge to keep up the action (and writing) for these 21 days. It is greatly appreciated and an inspiration for myself to do more and become more self sufficient and more carbon neutral (or negative). Thanks for the hard work and inspiration, you are appreciated!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your posts. It's been inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I checked in every day to read what you were doing. I think it's a step-by-step process... here's hoping more people will take that first step toward clean water, clean air, local and healthy food, and respect for others. Thank you for your inspiration!

    ReplyDelete