Thursday, December 13, 2018

Climate Challenge, day 13: Low Flow Showerheads


Years ago, I had the last cheap apartment in Portland. When I went to take a shower, there was never enough hot water to wash my hair; the hot water heater was too small to handle the full on showerhead. After a week of cold rinses, I went to Fred Meyers and purchased a sturdy reduced flow showerhead for ten bucks. Voila! Hot water.  That was twenty five years ago. The showerhead is in our greenhouse tub right now, still in use.

Using less water in a shower serves two functions for reducing greenhouse gases. Much of our water comes from the Willamette River and needs to be cleaned before it enters the system. Then, it is dumped back into the river, after being cleaned once more and cooled. This takes energy. Heating water at home also takes energy, even if you have a very efficient hot water heater.  Using less water is an obvious way to shrink your footprint.  The second benefit is that it will save money.

We timed our showers—Mark takes about nine minutes, I am in and out  at twelve (I have more hair). If we want to reduce our overall shower time, we have two options:  Jump in and out quickly while using the shut off valve on the showerhead or take fewer showers.  Two a week allows me to enjoy the process, so that’s my plan.

Options:
Replace your showerhead.
Don’t flush!
Take shorter or less frequent showers.

No comments:

Post a Comment