Friday, December 7, 2018

Climate Challenge Day eight: HR 7173


House Bill 7173

I was done with work a little early today, so I spent some time looking at house Bill 7173 and considering whether city council, as a body, should endorse it. I am in favor of cap and trade (or fee and rebate) systems as one of the best ways to reduce greenhouse gas emissions; it focuses attention of the real cost of carbon and encourages people to reduce use. A few years ago, when gas prices shot up, people bought smaller cars. The same principle is at work here.

After a little poking around, I learned that the Corvallis City Council passed a resolution in 2015 supporting general cap and trade legislation at both the state and federal level. I also saw that individual councilors could endorse this specific measure. I did so and I will see how my fellow councilors want to proceed. If we take action as a whole group, that could be more powerful.

If you have an opinion on the endorsement, contact the mayor and the city council via email. It is, in my mind, more effective to email the whole group rather than just your councilor on city wide matters.


No comments:

Post a Comment