Tuesday, October 6, 2026

Lost Cat

 


                Mark and I went camping overnight—foggy walks on the beach, quiet campground, fish and chips for lunch—it was great. When we came home, I called the cats in. One came running, all purry and begging for tummy rubs. The other—no sign. “She’s a deep sleeper,” Mark said, “She’ll wake up soon.” I did another round of calling before the council meeting, then left, figuring she’d be home by the time we were done. When I came home around 8:30, no cat. Because there was quite a bit of food in the bowl from the weekend, we thought she might have disappeared on Sunday evening.

                We prowled the neighborhood, calling, for two hours. Mark made fliers and put them up. I posted on social media and talked the numerous people on the street (it was a warm night!). No cat. Finally, we went to bed, one cat tucked under my chin.

                Around 1 AM, I heard the cat door slap. There she was, eating crunchies. When I picked her up, she smelled like…soy sauce. She went outside for a drink of wild water, chased something into the bushes, and took a lap of the back yard with her sister. By two am, we had both cats asleep on our feet. We are all fine; the cats are happy to be prowling the house and yard this misty morning .Soon, they will curl up and go to sleep.

                But the question remains—where was she? Where do cats go when they disappear? I can look in the greenhouse for a cat, find no one, turn around two minutes later, and there a cat is, sprawled on the floor like she has been there for hours. Do they fall into another dimension where the cat treats re better, and just stay there sometimes? How far afield do they actually travel?  Do they gather in cat packs under the street lights and Look at each other? Whose clean laundry are they sleeping on?            I’ve been wondering about this for a long while; yesterday, I looked up tracking collars. The technology is there. I may soon know.

No comments:

Post a Comment