Sunday, May 24, 2020

Rhubarb


When I was little, I found rhubarb terrifying. There was something about those big, crinkly leaves, the way it grew so quickly in the spring, the deep red stalks that gave me the creeps. I would hide behind the barn and peer around the corner, just to shiver at the sight. I did not like large vegetables, overgrown or otherwise. Even today, a huge zucchini emerging from the undergrowth will make me scream. There’s something wrong about it.

That being said, I have two rhubarb plants in my back garden and there are six more thriving in the school garden, where I have been working to restore order. So, it is the season. I made a rhubarb cake, which we love and ate quickly. Then I made some rhubarb pickles because I have been pickling everything lately. They were…ok. Maybe they are getting better over time, as the flavors meld. I’ll check again in couple of days. That left quite a bit of the plant, so I tried the rhubarb marmalade in the newspaper. Yum. I simplified the recipe a little bit and it feels more like a jam to me, but the flavors are amazing.  Who knew a scary plant could become so tasty.


Rhubarb Marmalade
Makes about 7 half pints
•About 2¼ pounds rhubarb, cut into ½-inch pieces to measure 8 cups
•4½ cups granulated sugar
•2 oranges, zested and chopped
•1 lemon, zested and chopped
•¼ cup finely chopped candied ginger

In non aluminum bowl, combine the rhubarb with the sugar. Cover and let stand overnight at room temperature.
Place the prepared oranges and lemon in a heavy pot, along with the rhubarb and sugar mixture, and the butter. Bring the mixture to a full rolling boil over medium high heat, stirring frequently. Reduce the heat to a slow boil and continue simmering, stirring frequently, until the mixture has reached the jelly stage (220 degrees from sea level up to 1,000 feet; 216 degrees at 2,000 feet; 214 degrees at 3,000 feet; 212 degrees at 4,000 feet; 211 degrees at 5,000 feet; 209 degrees at 6,000 feet; 207 degrees at 7,000 feet; 205 degrees at 8,000 feet), stirring constantly, about 8 minutes to 10 minutes.
Remove from heat, add ginger and rind. Let sit for about 2 minutes, then skim off any foam that has accumulated. Ladle the marmalade into individual containers for storage in the refrigerator or freezer.
For long-term storage at room temperature: Have 7 half-pint canning jars washed and ready for filling when the marmalade is through cooking. Prepare canning lids as manufacturer directs. While it is still hot, ladle into 1 clean and hot canning jar at a time, leaving ¼-inch head space. Wipe jar rim with a clean damp cloth. Attach lid. Fill and close remaining jars. Process in a boiling-water canner for 10 minutes 


No comments:

Post a Comment