Principles of Permaculture, via southern Oregon
|Stacking Functions-- chickens help with compost|
1. Practice protracted thoughtful observation, rather than thoughtless action.
2. Hold resources at the highest level.
3. Everything gardens.
4. Use locally available resources.
5. Waste is an underutilized resource.
6. The problem is the solution.
7. Work where you are wanted.
8. Work with nature, not against her.
9. Plant natives first, proven exotics second.
10. Plant edible and medicinal landscapes.
11. Start small and diverse, harvest your mistakes.
12. Stability comes from a diversity of relationships.
13. Stack functions.
14. Distribute the surplus.
15. There is a limit to how much the system can absorb.
16. Optimize rather than minimize.
17. Design systems that self-manage.
18. Consider relative location.
19. The primary client is the site.
20. Optimize edge; begin in favorable locations.
I would ad three more:
Be in love with your life.
Some years are just cabbage years. They will pass.