January Work List
- Prune trees, starting in the back.
- Peruse seed catalogs for hours. Mark everything interesting. Winnow the list down to reality.
- Order seeds.
- Draw up the garden plan.
- Look for snowdrops.
- Keep an eye on storage squashes and bake any that look iffy.
- Let the chickens out for a run in the late afternoon.
- Take long walks on the logging roads.
- Grade papers madly so that grades are accurate for the end of the semester.
- Walk on the beach.
Shepard’s Pie, the veggie version
Celery—2 to 3 stalks
Sautee until soft, add 2-3 tablespoons of flour to create a gravy. Season with thyme, salt and pepper.
Mix in 2/3 cup of cooked rice and ¾ cup of grated cheddar.
Put in a casserole dish, and cover with mashed potatoes. Bake in 350 oven until bubbly and eat with salad.