Tuesday, December 23, 2014

Love about Life

     
      We have been studying the Beat Poets in Honors Intro this month and the final assignment is to create a Beat Journal of creative writing, which was due today. The back page, in homage to Jack Kerouac, is a list—what do you love about your life? This is mine, right now.

·        I love the sound of the street sweepers at night. It reminds me of snow plows and evokes Snow Days.
·        I love the way conversation in my room ranges from the ridiculous to the sublime when kids are engaged in a creative project.
·        I love the silence in the room when they all leave and the walls begin to speak.
·        I love Winter Break.
·        I love baking English Muffins on Tuesday afternoons after a long walk in the woods.
·        I love Christmas lights on rainy nights.
·        I love the way the sun breaks through the clouds and the hills glow in the slanted light.
·        I love the way the bunny runs around the back yard.
·        I love piles of blankets on cold nights.
·        I love the peace of Winter streets and trails after town has emptied out.
·        I love slow cooked beans in the crockpot.
·        I love the network of people who surround our home, near and far.
·        I love a pile of books beside the couch.
·        I love our blue teapot full of PG tips.
·        I love dreaming of yarn.
·        I love Kayli sitting on her perch.
·        I love opening a bag of greens from Sunbow when they are still wet from the rain and smelling their deep green, earthy smell.
·        I love baked potatoes.
·        I love the way everyone in my room loves Wallace and Gromit.
·        I love seed catalogs and hiking books.
·        I love living in a town where a more complex engineering problem is embraced, not rejected.

Whole Wheat Anise Cookies, a Winter Break favorite


1 c of margarine (half butter is ok)
¾ cup of white sugar
1 egg
1.5 c of white flour
1.5 cups of whole wheat flour
1.5 t of BP
1 t salt
1T anise seed

Beat sugar and margarine together. Add the egg, then the dry ingredients. Roll out between two sheets of waxed paper and chill until firm. The dough may be a bit wet.
Cut into star and moon shapes and bake at 350 degrees until done. Eat warm. Freeze leftovers for a nice surprise in Febuary.



No comments:

Post a Comment