October is the end of the gardening season, the time to put the garden to bed for the winter and to snug in the house as well. It is also time to sit in the sun, on the top of a hill, looking down on mountain lakes, preparing the soul for the long dark time ahead as well.
· Leaf collection and mulch.
· Compost veg plants in the hoops; compost flower beds in place.
· Clean the dehydrator screens and put them away.
· Close down greywater systems, collect hoses.
· Place bulk orders for Fill Your Pantry in early November.
· Clean out the larder before filling with squashes, pumpkins, onions, and apples.
· Carve pumpkins.
· Take one more hike in the mountains.
· Wash the windows and hang the storm windows.
· Rake leaves.
· Parent teacher conferences….
· Clean the fireplace so that we can have fires inside.
· Find the orange glass candleholders for the mantle.
1.5 c oats
1.25 c buttermilk
Soak for an hour or so.
.5 c brown sugar
Add and mix
1 c whole wheat flour
.25 c bran
.5 t salt
1 t BS
Mix and add
Pour into a bread pan and bake in 350 oven until done. Eat with apple butter.