August Work List
August is a balancing act—between high summer and the long autumn, between growing and preserving, between staying home and heading for the mountains. And, some morning, we will wake up and realize that another summer has passed, that the air and light have changed, and winter is coming.
To Be Done:
- Dry apples, peaches, pears, zucchini, and any other possible fruit or vegetable that appears.
- Can peaches, pears, applesauce, and juices.
- Make pickles.
- Roast and can fifty pounds of tomatoes for winter soup, pizza, and sauces.
- House projects—scrape and paint inside and out. Repair items.
- Work on the compost. Spread sifted compost on early beds.
- Water seedlings that have been planted out for fall.
- Pull the potato crop and store in the basement. Clean the basement.
- Water the garden, slowly tapering off as beds empty out.
- Do your summer reading!
- Host the pie social.
Pie crust—2 eight inch crusts. Make the top a lattice!
.5 t salt
2/3 cup butter or margarine or a blend
5-6 T cold water
6 c of blueberries
¾ c sugar
.5 t salt
zest of one lemon
2T butter in little pieces
Bake in 350 oven until bubbly.